Growing up in a family that had swabish roots, I was exposed to an authentic german cusine. Both my mother and my grandmother were exquisite cooks, and used to cook up the most mouthwatering meals. Fast forward a couple decades, I'm now living a plant-based lifestyle, but still long after the tastes of my childhood. One of my favorites is this beet salad that is both tasty and refreshing. Not to mention the miriad of health reasons one should eat beets. This recipe is the authentic one, as it is completely plant-based and didn't have to change the recipe. It pairs well with bean or lentil stews, potato dishes, or any of the roasted vegetable dishes. Enjoy!
Sevings: 6 Prep time: 10 min Cooking time: 20 min
- 6 medium to large size red and golden beets, without the greens, thoroughly washed and scrubbed
- 2 tbsp freshly grated horseradidh, or prepared horseradish
- 1 tbsp caraway seeds
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, or more according to taste
- boil the beets in 2-3 cups water until tender soft. I use the InstantPot on the "Pressure cook" setting, under high pressure, for 15 min. Use natural release.
- remove the beets from the boilng water (caution they will be very hot) and let them cool. Meanwhile, add the vinegar, horseradish, and caraway seeds to the hot water the beets boiled in.
- when the beets cooled off remove skins and cut them in 1/4 in cubes and cover with the mixture of vinegar brine.
- let it cool and store in refrigerator for 24 hours before serving.