Beans and hearthy vegetable soup
This is one of my favorite dishes made in the InstantPot. I make it all the time and keep it in the refrigerator for busy days when I dont have time to make dinner. It freezes well, so I make a large pot and freeze half. It is a complex meal, containing all the major food groups of a whole food plant-based diet, and uses no oils, sugar, or salt.
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 oz Baby Bella Mushrooms, chopped in chunks (or you can use 2 cups dried mushooms, soaked)
- 1 tbsp crushed garlic
- 1 bunch green kale, 1 bunch chard, 1 bunch tuscan kale (also called dinosaur kale), 1 bunch beet greens; use the leaves, finely chopped and put aside the stems for the rest of the soup.
- 2 cups dried beans and lentils mixed (I buy legumes in bulk and keep them in glass jars in my cupboard). I use soy beans in this mix as well. Use equal amounts of each kind to add up to 2 cups. Soak overnight and rinse well before cooking.
- 1/4 cup each farro and barley
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp of fresh garlic coarsely chopped
- different types of root vegetables: carrots, parsley, celery root, sweet potato, winter squash, etc. Cut in cubes. Use enough to cover half of the volume in the pot.
- 1/4 cup green peas and green beans
- 1/4 cup organic yellow corn (I use frozen corn)-
- the stems from the green leafy vegetables, coarsely chopped
- place soaked and rinsed bean/grain mix in the inner pot of the InstantPot, cover with water aprox 1 in above the bean level. Cook on the "Bean/Chili" setting for 20 min, on high pressure, and use natural release.
- fill the remaining space in the pot with the chopped root vegetables, green steams, peas, green beans, and corn. Add the bay leaves, garlic, and continue to cook for another 15 min on the "Pressure Cook" setting, on low presure. Use natural release.
- meanwhile, in a separate pot, saute onion, crushed garlic, in 2-3 tbsp of water or veggie broth, until translucent and fragrant. Add the mushrooms, and saute until tender. Finally add the chopped leafy greens and lightly steam. Turn off heat and leave covered.
- when the InstantPot depressurized, pour the contents over the sauteed mushrooms and leafy greens. Be cautious, and use silocone mittens, as the pot will be extremely hot!
- serve with chopped green onions and 1/2 tsp of apple cider vinegar.